A research paper refers to a range of academic works, including dissertations, term papers, and theses. A research paper should be written on a particular topic and is always based on the author’s self-conducted research. Research papers often contribute a lot to a student’s grade, which is why many students are actually intimidated by this challenge. However, with the right set of knowledge and skills, as well as the right attitude, you will ace your research paper from the first try!
When you are writing a research paper, it’s important to use every source that is available to you. Instead of simply going to the library and finding one or two books on the required topic, you should also look for magazines and newspapers, government publications, encyclopedias, and any other relevant source you can locate.
Plus, you shouldn’t ignore the power of the internet when it comes to conducting research. There may be hundreds of thousands of search results for your topic, but you should pay extra attention to the authenticity and reliability of the source.
Another essential step of the research paper writing process is developing a thesis statement. The thesis statement will serve as the foundation of your entire paper and you will come back to it more than once. That is why a thesis statement needs to be clear, strong, and concise.
How do you Choose a Topic for a Research Paper?
Many students and teachers say that the right research paper topic is responsible for more than half of the success of the paper. Choose a topic that resonates with your own interests and views. Here are 91 research topics we have prepared for your inspiration.
Argumentative Research Paper Topics
- Should we continue to use animals for scientific research?
- What is a fair way to decide a minimum wage?
- Should the wealthiest people pay the biggest taxes?
- How did homelessness become such a major problem?
- Should we allow the government to control our eating habits?
- Is it time to abolish corporal punishment?
- Can teenagers be effectively protected by a curfew?
- US border control needs to be actively improved.
- Is the average child behavior worse than 20 years ago?
- Are paying company CEOs too much?
Research Topics for College Students
- How to manage college tuition more efficiently?
- Youth healthcare needs to be completely redesigned.
- How the US can better prepare for natural disasters?
- Free software distribution is the future of the digital world.
- College students should be protected from online gambling.
- How can we banish societal stereotypes altogether?
- Benefits and negative effects of probation.
- The job market is not suited for recent graduates.
- How cognitive development can be encouraged in schoolchildren.
- The older generations are preventing the youth from building a successful career.
High School Research Paper Topics
- How women in the early 20th century transformed history.
- The reasons why internet use has grown over the past 20 years.
- The effect of banning firearms on crime levels.
- How the size of the tree affects the moisture level in the soil?
- The benefits of including high-energy food in your diet.
- Is the United Nations still a relevant organization?
- Should we lower, increase, or support the current legal drinking age?
- Have white collar jobs become less valuable in our society?
- Effective ways of monitoring child abuse.
- The biggest flaws of the US prison system.
Psychology Research Paper Topics
- Can ADHD patients be effectively educated in a regular classroom?
- What does faith have in common with psychology?
- Is marriage counselling an effective way to lower divorce rates?
- The problems of mental health in homeless people.
- The effect of childhood speech disorders on cognitive development.
- The use of gestalt therapy in modern psychology.
- How our psyche reacts to winning or losing?
- Why has the anxiety disorder rate gone up?
- How first psychological aid can be implemented in the workplace.
- The origins and ways of combating the eating disorder.
- Is there a link between childhood obesity and parental abuse?
Fun Research Topics
- Millennials shouldn’t be entitled to higher salaries.
- Does country music affect gun violence?
- How to tell if your dog actually loves you.
- Putting milk on cereal vs. putting cereal into milk.
- Where do mismatched socks in your drawer come from?
- Is theft really illegal or just unethical?
- How to treat a caffeine addiction.
- Why it’s dangerous to stand under a coconut tree during a storm?
- Should we develop a memory erasing technology?
- Why I am the best research paper writer.
Interesting Topics for Research Paper
- How did medieval sailors navigate the seas?
- There are instances where torture is acceptable.
- What is the healthiest diet?
- Installing metal detectors at schools is an effective method of shooting prevention.
- Should we make an effort to boost the population growth?
- Google Apps are superior to their competitors.
- Should parents introduce stricter upbringing tactics?
- How much are we entitled to know about political figures?
- Modern methods of battling obesity.
- How early should we start learning foreign languages?
Persuasive Research Paper Topics
- The US should not lift the Cuba Embargo.
- Pets should be adopted, not bought.
- Should we go back to separate classes for boys and girls?
- Why the driving age should be lowered to 14.
- The effect of legalizing euthanasia.
- Fast food chains should display calorie information more clearly.
- More people should switch from cars to bikes.
- Genetically modified organisms are an inevitable part of the future.
- Only extroverts become strong leaders.
- Telling the truth is the only way to live.
Political Science Research Topics
- The reasons and possible solutions of the Cold War.
- The most groundbreaking political decision in history.
- How religion shaped the US politics.
- How politics are displayed in the media.
- How can we achieve the balance of power in the world?
- Does politics and morality have anything in common?
- How can the US election system be improved?
- Globalization is actually a good thing.
- How the US politics was affected by the Civil War.
- The use of technology in modern politics.
Business Research Topics
- When is the child labor acceptable?
- The effect of digital marketing on sales.
- Why so many startups fail.
- The 21st century and the emerging business leaders.
- The role of accounting in a modern business.
- Are franchises easier to launch and maintain?
- Alcohol-based businesses around the world.
- How productivity is affected by worker benefits.
- Should more businesses use outsourcing?
- The origins of today’s biggest businesses.
What are the Steps in Writing a Research Paper?
While choosing a topic for your research paper is important, it’s only the first step in the complex writing process. Here are all 7 steps of the typical research paper writing procedure:
- Choose your topic.
- Formulate a thesis to build your work around.
- Gather all relevant sources and make notes as you study them.
- Prepare an outline for your research paper.
- Organize your notes according to the outline.
- Write the research paper using your notes and the outline.
- Proofread the paper and make sure you have achieved the desired effect.