In addition to its largest city of New Orleans, Louisiana offers prime education and career opportunities throughout the state. Louisiana is home to 4 of the 10 busiest ports in the U.S., providing a strong foundation for a healthy economy. Working professionals of all ages and life situations are now returning to Louisiana colleges and universities to advance their local careers.
Louisiana College Graduates Climb the Corporate Ladder in Prominent Luoisiana Businesses
The yearly Mardi Gras festival, held in New Orleans since 1838, is another contributor to the strong economy in Louisiana. Prominent businesses are consequently drawn to the area, providing employment for Louisiana university students. Companies headquartered in the “Pelican State” include:
- Louisiana Gaylord Chemical Corporation.
- Louisiana Gulf Air Transport.
- Louisiana Pelican Publishing Company.
- Louisiana Softdisk.
- Louisiana Superior Energy Services.
- Louisiana Shaw Group.
- Louisiana Acadian Ambulance.
Louisiana University Graduates Experience an Unemployment Rate Nearly a Full Percentage Point Below the National Average
The increasingly important industry of tourism has also contributed to a healthy economy in Louisiana. College graduates are benefiting from the current conditions, with the Department of Labor and U.S. Census Bureau reporting:
- The September, 2017 Louisiana unemployment rate was 3%, nearly a full percentage point below the national average.
- The 2016 – 2017 Louisiana median household income was $37,442.
- The 2017 Louisiana gross state product was $140 billion. 1,790,700 people are employed in Louisiana.
Louisiana Colleges and Universities Provide Both Online and Campus-based Education Programs
Thanks to the state’s extensive network of colleges and universities, Louisiana working professionals have access to personalized education programs. A combination of online classes and campus-based courses are available through:
- University Of Phoenix: Matairie College Campus, Baton Rouge School Campus, Lafayatte University Campus and Online Programs.
- ITT Technical Institute: New Orleans University Campus and Online Programs.
- Kaplan University: New Orleans Online Programs.
For a complete list of Louisiana colleges and universities, students are encouraged to visit College-Pages.com, the leading education and career resource website. Prospective students will also find access to informative articles on making education and career decisions in the state of Louisiana.