As the largest of the New England states, Maine offers a strong educational system for its working professionals. A growing influx of tourism to its unspoiled, outdoor recreation locations is also providing a stronger economy and more varied career opportunities for local residents. The network of Maine colleges and universities continues to expand as its workforce increasingly thrives.
Graduates of Maine Colleges and Universities Find Lucrative Opportunities in a Growing Workforce
Due to its short growing season, agriculture fails to play a large role in Maine’s economy. Maine college graduates consequently find extensive opportunities in a diversified labor market consisting of trade, service, and finance positions. Some of Maine’s most prominent employers include:
- Maine Bath Iron Works: manufacturer of war ships.
- Brunswick Naval Air Station: military facility.
- The Jackson Laboratory: largest mammalian genetic research facility in the nation.
- Fairchild Semiconductor: company based in Portland, Maine.
- IDEXX Laboratories: company based in Westbrook, Maine.
- L.L. Bean: company based in Freeport, Maine.
Diversified Local Workforce Gives way to a Strong Local Economy for Graduates of Maine Universities and Colleges
In addition to tourism, aquaculture is growing in importance to the economy of Maine. College graduates are entering an increasingly healthy labor market, thanks to a diversified economy. The Department of Labor and U.S. Census Bureau reveal:
- The September, 2017 Maine unemployment rate was 4%, on par with the national average.
- 684,800 people are employed in Maine.
- The 2016 – 2017 Maine median household income was $43,317.
- The 2017 Maine gross state product was $41 billion.
Maine Colleges and Universities Offer Online Education Programs to Compliment Campus-based Programs
Students and working professionals throughout the state of Maine have access to a host of academic programs. Both campus-based and online programs are available through Maine universities and colleges, including:
Kaplan University (Andover College): Lewiston College Campus, Portland University Campus, and Online Programs.
University of Phoenix: Maine Online Programs.
ITT Technical Institute: Maine Online Programs.
For a complete list of Maine colleges and universities, students are encouraged to visit College-Pages.com, the leading education and career resource website. Prospective students will also find access to informative articles on making education and career decisions in the state of Maine.