In recent years, the economy of New Mexico has grown significantly. A warm climate combined with a 20.0% increase in population since the 1990 census has attracted new industries to the state. Career options continue to expand today for graduates of New Mexico colleges and universities. New Mexico schools offer a wide variety of flexible programs for students of all backgrounds in search of local career advancement.
Top New Mexico Employers Hire Graduates of New Mexico Universities and Colleges
The largest New Mexico employer by far is the federal government. Additional prominent industries that provide employment for New Mexico university graduates consist of high technology manufacturing, tourism, private services, health care, and alternative health. Some of New Mexico’s top employers include:
- Intel New Mexico Branches.
- Los Alamos National Laboratory.
- Lovelace Healthcare in New Mexico.
- Lockheed Engineering and Sciences in New Mexico.
- U.S. National Park Service in New Mexico.
- U.S. Army at Fort Bliss in New Mexico.
Growing Economy Attracts New Mexico College Students and Working Professionals
Tourists visiting the Carlsbad Caverns National Park and Aztec Ruins National Monument provide a healthy boost to the economy in New Mexico. New businesses, such as Virgin Galactic, the first company to develop commercial flights into space, are also contributing to a growing local economy in New Mexico. College graduates enter a thriving local economy with the most recent statistics revealing:
- The 2016 – 2017 New Mexico median household income was $39,196, a 2.2% increase over the previous year.
- The September, 2017 New Mexico unemployment rate was 4.1%, compared to the national average of 4.7%.
- 914,700 people are employed in New Mexico.
- The 2017 New Mexico gross state product was $57 billion.
New Mexico Colleges and Universities Offer Flexible Education Options for Working Professionals
Thanks to new programs at New Mexico colleges and universities, students can now earn a degree in New Mexico while maintaining professional and personal commitments. Unique combinations of campus-based and online education programs are now available through New Mexico schools, such as:
- Kaplan University at Southwest Health Career Institute: Albuquerque College Campus and Online Programs.
- University of Phoenix: Albuquerque University Campus, Santa Fe College Campus, Santa Teresa University Campus, and Online Programs.
- ITT Technical Institute: Albuquerque College Campus and Online Programs.
For an extensive list of New Mexico colleges and universities, students are encouraged to explore College-Pages.com, the leading education and career resource website. Prospective students will also find access to informative articles on making education and career decisions in the state of New Mexico.