One of the most frequent academic assignments in schools is narrative essays. The students are supposed to show their ability to connect their personal experience with the theme under study. It can be really fun and exciting for students while this task helps them master the skills of storytelling.
Writing a narrative essay is about telling a story or describing an experience. Hence, students should use their best descriptive capabilities to let the readers feel the experience that is being narrated by the students. However, as the human nature is, the memories are intermingled in our mind and it takes quite some time and effort to filter the right kind of experiences for narration in an essay form.
Hence, students require doing lot of pre-writing exercise, which would involve jotting down bits of all the episodes that have relation to each other. Thereafter students should prepare a draft, which is well defined and relating to any single experience. Noting down all the happenings related to the particular experience would make it easier and fasterto compose an essay on it, which would be the best form of a narrative essay.
Main Rules of Writing a Narrative Essay
If the students are using the narration as a form of storytelling, then they should follow the norms relating to the same. Accordingly, the essay would have a plot, different characters, setting or the scenario and the climax or ending of the story. Hence, the writer should do a bit of brain storming to organize the essay in a cohesive manner, while the above elements would follow in a sequential formation.
When working on your narrative essay, you should follow some standards and guidance:
- Always write in the first person, I (in some cases, the third person he, she, it is permitted, too).
- To convey the message, you should apply sensational language and robust depictions.
- This type of essay should contain all mandatory parts, including introduction, the body paragraphs, climax, and conclusion.
How to Write a Narrative Essay
A high-quality narrative essay supposes you to follow all the following steps when writing it:
Choosing the Topic
This is one of the most crucial parts of your essay, while you should define the path for it to follow. The topic of your assignment has to be picked carefully.
It is essential to understand that you are not telling a bedtime story from fairy tales. Instead, you would be writing on well-defined theme or topic, on which you have definite viewpoint. Therefore, you need doing a bit of brain storming to find a topic for their narrative essay that summarizes this viewpoint.
Narrative essays, in fact, are about the story and analyzing it. The story should depict the notion. Remember the following rules:
- Mostly, a narrative essay doesn’t require references to external sources.
- Use your personal experience to provide arguments in your essay.
- Narrative essay is used to check your ability to connect your personal life experience with the certain topic studied in the class.
The Relevance of Your Story to The Prompt
Such a task is usually given to you to check whether you are able to take instructions. It’s recommended to the read the prompt carefully before starting to write and make sure that the story responds the given task.
Pay attention to the details, languages, and illustrations. The essay should sound lively to your audience. Each scene has to be depicted in lots of details. Please do the following:
- Fill the gaps with the help if your imagination and creativity. You don’t have to use too long descriptions of certain context. It’s better to review the context shortly and in general.
- Avoid stories or ideas discrediting your story, as well as fiction!
The essay should contain vivid details, this way it will be successful. The essay stories are to be short and accurate. The plot, as well as setting and characters, should be the shortest possible. Pay attention to the statements below:
- Poor essays usually have broad plots. Avoid lengthy duration in the description of events.
- Use the restricted number of characters, so the reader would not get lost in a variety of your characters.
Prepare a Research Methodology
Also, you should investigate the facts from number of external sources that are authentic and reliable as they probe into the basis and the reasons of the events they are narrating. For example, if the topic is about the World War II, students should narrow down the subject of the essay to a particular event in the world war, which is still remembered by all of us, around the world, like the bombing of Japanese area of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
However, as the information given in the essay should be based on the facts only, you must verify the same from a number of sources and then interpret the information collected, in their own words, which should form the contents of their narrative essay.
As every essay requires a proper writing style, students should look at an essay format to familiarize with the requirements of established styles like APA, MLA or Harvard etc.. In addition, the essay narration should be smooth and free flowing, so that the reader is tempted to go through the whole essay. Therefore, a proper essay outline is also necessary to maintain the transparency.
Provide Proper Citation References
It is necessary that students provide evidence in support of their narration of facts. This evidence is mostly from the information collected through sources like internet, e-books or publications. However, you must cite the sources and the authors of such publications in the required format. The most common form of an in-text citation would be to mention the name of the author and the date of publication, within the brackets, wherever such sources are referred in the main text. While the full details should be given in the bibliography pages, care should be taken to mention the full address of the source correctly, to enable the reader’s access to the same.
Drafting the Sections of Your Essay
Before starting the process of writing your narrative essay, you should make sure to create a blueprint for guiding you. You should remain within your context and include everything you would like to write. Try to do the following:
- Adumbrate the plot. Write down the major aspects to tell about, the main plot point in an outline, which shows the beginning, middle, and end of your essay.
- Involve vivid details. The details in the story make its quality. You should not just to write the facts, but to describe everything!
- Protagonist and antagonist. It is always much more interesting to read the stories where there are the protagonist and antagonist. The protagonist is to struggle for reaching an objective, and the antagonist (a person, situation, or thing) is always against the protagonist. And note that you are not obliged to be a protagonist at all.
- Characterize the actors. You are the main character in your story. You participate in almost all scenes, and your actions have a direct impact on the major outcomes. Always use an interesting and unique description showing an intimate connection between you and another character. Do not use just the description of physical appearance. Make a brief outline of the main character in your story and include several specific important details about him.
- Use the same perspective in all scenes. As a rule, narrative essays are written in the first person, so avoid switching the perspectives.
- Setting. That’s what gives the context to your story. The characters are really important to the story, and the setting is crucial for the plot. The setting should be brought vividly and described in all the details and accuracy.
narrative essay examples
narrative essay format
narrative essay outline
narrative essay sample
narrative essay topics
personal narrative essay
Revise the Essay
When revising your essay, pay attention to the following:
- Use summaries and scenes. Scenes are where the story takes place, and summaries are the links between them. Summaries are longer moments you read quickly, but scenes are small moments rendering the important details.
- Dialogues. You should include them to your narrative and format them correctly.
- The theme clarity. The essay is to bring the theme of the prompt clearly.
- Now revise your essay. This is a key principle of making sure it is a top-quality paper. Before the final run, the majority of writers revise their works several times. Make sure to proofread it several times, too. Ask someone to read it as well.
- Conclusion. Writing a story is not the same as telling a story. Follow all the tips provided above to become a good narrative essay writer. Sum up the main idea to make a conclusion.
Leave your reader with something to think about!
If for some reason you are unable to write an essay yourself, our writers can help you. Just click on the button below and fill out the form. Writing services College-Pages.com – your guarantee for a successful essay!